Wednesday, February 11, 2009

911 To The Rescue



"NayNay, I need you." No excitement in his voice, just a very calm request. "Okay Reed I'm coming" I replied and slowly made my way in to the playroom. GASP, "What happened Reedster" I ask? At this point he starts this long explanation of exactly how and why he got his head stuck between the burglar bars on what used to be the outside door. However, he was all bent over and having problems with his speech, I couldn't understand him. All I knew was that he appeared stuck, he was calm, and I would be also. "Well, let's see" I surmise. His ears are already red, but I'm thinking it went in and it will come out. First try, no success. "Okay, stand as tall as you can." I thought we would go at it from a different level. Second try, no success. "Well now, don't you worry NayNay will fix it" I assure him. "Let me just get around those ears." Third try, no success. By this time Blythe is giving her reassuring words and Carson (his cousin on Brooke's side) has hustled in to the kitchen to retrieve a sucker for him. Katie comes in and knowing she must be strong for the task at hand, pats Reed on the back and tells him everything is going to be just fine. Nanny (Reed's other grandmother) gives it one look and says "Brooke's gonna die, Brooke's gonna die" knowing she will be here soon to pick him up. I can't believe it, but that head is not budging. I suggest that Nanny drive around the corner to the fire station next to Reed's house and tell them what's going on. Reed is still talking about the situation and how he knows all the firemen, etc. and sucking on his sucker all the while. So far we are okay. Nanny comes right back and says that the firemen and truck are gone. At this point I become more concerned. "Well Katie give me the phone so I can call 911" - what else could I do, right? "911, What is your emergency" the operator asked? "Well, I'm not sure it's an emergency, but my little grandson has his head stuck in the burglar bars and it's not budging, I know..." She interrupts "Stay on the line, please." Oh great, I'm thinking police cars and firetrucks are going to come in like a blaze of glory about the time Brooke pulls up. I continue, "I know the firemen around the corner, but they weren't there." I explain. "I'm sending some help your way M'am." Now it sounds like an emergency. The other children decide that Reed's going to live so they go about their business. Blythe was in the laundry room when Aunt Boo walked in the back door. Blythe's eyes grew big. Boo rounds the corner, takes one look and starts jumping up and down screaming "What are we gonna do, what are we gonna do?" With that, Reed starts to whimper for the first time. I give Brooke "the look" and say, "Oh hi Mommy, we're just waiting for our friends the firemen to get us out." Now she understands that she must stay calm for her son and she starts rubbing Reed's back and telling him that everything will be just fine. The firemen show up (no horns, thank God) and at first glance say "Hey Reed, what's up?" So Reed, all bent over starts his long story of how he got in this predicament. Reed's friends grab a couple of tools and go to work on getting him out. In just a couple of minutes Reed is released from the ugly grip of the bars and escapes unharmed. "I'm sorry I had to call you guys" I apologize." They told me that things go in a lot easier than they come out and they were glad to help. I took a quick head count, thanked God for blessing me with grandchildren and then ushered them away for the day. "Goodbye, no I'll pick up the toys, really goodbye."




1 comment: