Monday, February 9, 2009

"It's Just A June Bug"


One evening before Christmas, Kate & I made a late night run to Target, which is always fun. When we got home I asked her to come out to our storage bldg. to see the present we got Turner. So, we traipse across the yard. Before going in I kicked at the door - after all, it is dark and who knows what kind of varmint could be hiding out just to scare me. The coast was cleared so we entered, stayed a minute and crossed the yard again before going into the kitchen. Kate kept scratching her head and talking about a student having lice so she decided that I should check her head, which I promptly did (as any mother would.) All of a sudden she does this jerking move and grabbed the front of her p.j. pants saying it felt like something was crawling on her leg. With that, we laughed thinking she was getting freaked out about the whole lice check. Then, it went to the next level. "Something's crawling up my leg!" she screamed and the only way I can describe her move is to compare it with Kramer on the Seinfield show. She's jerkin' and jumpin' and grabbin' the back of her pants. "It's in my hand!, It's in my hand!" So whatever she has is in her pants, but she has grabbed it, material and all. Like her brother, Clay (or I should say that he is like me) I remain cool under pressure. "Okay, let me have it, now I'll just take a look" and by this time I'm thinking whatever I am crunching in my hand seems kind of big. "Oh Katie, it's just a June bug." I calmly manage to say. "Just slip your pants off and I'll take it outside", which she took no time in doing. Then I go "Now that you have them off, I can tell you that it's about a 2 inch cockroach." She's jumpin' around the kitchen in her panties and squealing like a little girl. I tried not to laugh because I HATE those things and certainly would not want one near my leg. I'm glad I had that bladder surgery or I would have peed in my pants. I washed her p.j. pants, but I don't think she's ever worn them again. I am proud to say that I remained calm under pressure and managed to keep the truth from her until after she had gotten out of her pants. So there is a moral to this story: When the stresses of life get you down, or things just aren't going your way remember... it's just a June bug."

1 comment: